"After many years in medical practice I came to realize that I was a disease manager and not a healer and I decided to change my style of practice and strive to restore health rather than treat disease." Robert I. Bender, M.D., FAAFP
As a graduate of the University of California, Irvine, California College of Medicine, Dr. Bender has been in medical practice for more than 40 years. As a family practitioner, Dr. Bender cared for a broad scope of patients from pediatrics to geriatrics with an emphasis on wellness over the last 25 years.
Dr. Bender's administrative experience includes 20 years as Medical Director for a large multi-specialty medical group, 3 years as a Regional and Senior VP for a health maintenance organization, and he's served as the Medical Director for a large southern California IPA.
In recognition of Dr. Bender's medical and administrative experience, he was appointed by the Governor of California in 1988 to serve on the State Health Care Advisory Committee. Dr. Bender earned the degree of Fellow from The American Academy of Family Physicians in 1992. He is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians and The American Medical Association.
Dr. Bender is the past President of the U.S. Volleyball Association (the governing body for the sport of volleyball in the U.S. under the Olympic Committee). He also served on the International Federation of Volleyball Sports Medicine Committee. It is through his service and active participation in these sports organizations that Dr. Bender became interested in preventive medicine. He has pursued the study of preventive, alternative and anti-aging medicine for more than 25 years.
In addition to patient care, Dr. Bender has actively participated in the formulation, development and testing of nutritional supplement products specializing in cellular health. He has served as a consultant and a member of the medical science advisory team for several international nutritional supplement companies. Dr. Bender currently acts as the Chief HealthCare Advisor for an international cellular health neutraceutical company.
Dr. Bender is unique because he is both an experienced physician, corporate executive and international speaker. His traditional medical and corporate background is coupled with a clear understanding of the need for prevention, healing and nutrition.
Medical School: University of California, Irvine, California College of Medicine
Internship: Los Angeles County General Hospital
Drafted after internship into U.S. Air Force to serve as a Medical Officer during the Vietnam Conflict.
Family Practice, 1967-2003
• Medical Director
• Executive Committee Member
• Hospital Chairman of the Board
• Member of hospital Board of Directors
• Chief of Staff at several community hospitals
• Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
• Member, American Medical Association
Past Memberships and Offices Held
• Member, California State Health Care Advisory Committee
• Member, International Federation of Volleyball's Sports Medicine Committee.
• President, U.S. Volleyball Association 1985-1988
• Past President, U.S. Volleyball Association 1989-1992
• Board of Directors, United States Volleyball Association
• United States Representative, Congress for the International Federation for Volleyball
• International Federation for Volleyball Medical Committee
• United States Olympic Committee, Medical Committee
Honors and Special Recognition Awards
• William G. Morgan Founders Award, USVBA, 1989
• Dorothy C. Boyce Award, USVBA, 1989
• Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians, 1992
• Physicians Recognition Award for Continuing Education, Ongoing
It's Only Your Life - 1997 Effect Publishing, Inc.
It's Only Your Life, Get to the Point - 1997 Effect Publishing, Inc.
I Stand Corrected, Confession of a Doctor - 1997
How Could Qualified Doctors Not Know? - 1998
Simply Put, Defend Yourself or...? - 1998
Helping the Body to Heal Itself - 2004
Living by the Master's Design, 3 part Series - 2007 Gen4Living
The Triangle of Life - 2005